There has been a good bit of buzz over a comet known as 2I/Borisov = C/2019 Q4 (Borisov). Given the fact that it is the second known interstellar object to make its way through our Solar System would explain much of this buzz. If there is buzz if the object is in range of the telescopes if there are open time slots, and the weather helps out, more often than not, I am going to give it a try. With 2I/Borisov being low in the predawn sky, I had to wait for to be at an altitude at which the telescope could take the images. I set up the plan to image 2I/Borisov when it was at an altitude of 27 degrees(minimum target altitude: for T11 is approx 20 degrees). I had the telescope started imaging about a half-hour before the end of full darkness. I had T11 take 15 - 60-second luminance BIN2 images.
|Comet 2I/Borisov imaged from |
New Mexico Skies, Mayhill, New Mexico, USA(MPC H06)
on 2019-10-08 using itelescope.net's T11(0.50-m f/6.8 reflector + CCD + f/4.5 focal reducer),
a stack of 15 - 60-second luminance BIN2 images.
By Steven M. Tilley
Gennadiy Vladimirovich Borisov, a Russian amateur astronomer, has discovered the first known interstellar comet, 2I/Borisov. Discovered at MARGO (Gennadiy Borisov's observatory) in the Republic of Crimea on Aug 30, 2019. This object was reported to the Minor Planet Center as a "comet candidate" using the observer-assigned temporary designations gb00234. This object was posted to the NEOCP/PCCP, confirmation page, and observations poured in from around the World. On Sep 11, 2019, MPEC 2019-R106 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) was issued, which stated the possibility and the need for more observations. MPEC 2019-S72 : 2I/Borisov = C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) was issued on Sep 24, 2019. This MPEC stated confirmation of its "hyperbolic orbit and interstellar origin" and "assigned the permanent interstellar designation 2I."
- MPEC 2019-R106 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-R113 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S03 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S09 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S25 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S62 : COMET C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S72 : 2I/Borisov = C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- MPEC 2019-S120 : COMET 2I/Borisov
- MPEC 2019-T44 : COMET 2I/Borisov
- MPEC 2019-T116 : COMET 2I/Borisov
- "Pseudo-MPEC" for 0002I
- A Second Interstellar Object Has Almost Certainly Been Found In Our Solar System
- MPC Database: 2I/Borisov = C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- Newly Discovered Comet Is Likely Interstellar Visitor (JPL press release)
- The Maybe Comet From Another Star: Now zinging through Cancer: a glob of light from interstellar space ?
- "Naming of New Interstellar Visitor: 2I/Borisov" (IAU Press release)
- Astronomers May Have Found an Interstellar Comet. Here's Why That Matters.
- Interstellar comet C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) by Piotr Guzik1, Michał Drahus1 Krzysztof Rusek , Wacław Waniak , Giacomo Cannizzaro, Inés Pastor-Marazuela
- Another Interstellar Visitor Is Headed Our Way
- FAQ for gb00234 = C/2019 Q4 = 2I (Borisov) [ by Bill Gray at ProjectPluto]
- JPL Small-Body Database Browser: C/2019 Q4 (Borisov)
- 2I/Borisov (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)